Thursday, June 4, 2009

Ain't she luvly?


Got a visit from the man in brown today. He brought me some gifts. One of them was an order from one of my favorite places to shop online: MOUSER. They sent me my 12V AC wall wart and blank PCB stock.

TO THE BATGARAGE, ROBIN!

First up was testing out the power supply I built. After switching a diode around that I had put in backwards, I fired it up.... -12.0V/+11.97V. YEAH!!

So then I got to work on the making the PCB. Now THAT was a bitch! Double-sided PCBs are my arch-nemesis. I've only somewhat successfully made one double-sided board in the past and I didn't even end up populating it. And there were many scrapped attempts. In fact, that power supply PCB was supposed to be double-sided and I ended up trying and failing. Fortunately, it was easy to make it single-sided with just one jumper. That would not have worked with this PCB. So I used ALL my powers of PCBing and came out a winnar!

You can see in the pic, the holes on each side of the board lined up perfectly. This is no mean feat! Props to Mouser for stocking translucent PCBs. It doesn't help with lining up the holes, but it makes for much cooler pics! So I'm glad to be finished with that stage. I did have to clean up a lot of bridged traces with an X-acto. The traces on this board are pretty close together. Next step... drilling about a million tiny holes!

I didn't order any of the components. Gotta put that off till payday.

No comments:

Post a Comment